Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Luggage will Follow...


Hello, it's Jeff. Since this is a blog about what happened during the pregnancy, Lori and I thought I should include my trip to Romania and Bulgaria. Now before you get to upset thinking that I left her at home while I took a nice vacation let me say that it was a working holiday. I was invited to come and be a speaker/teacher/counselor for a ministry couple's retreat in Balchik, Bulgaria. I was thrilled to be involved but very sad (and a little nervous) about having to leave Lori and belly at home. But she was too far along to come with me. So I boarded the plane (actually I boarded the bus to Dublin first) and flew off to Bucharest, Romania via Paris (a city I am quickly coming to love). However my trip was delayed and I had to practically run the Paris marathon....sprint off plane....run through customs without looking too suspicious....tear through one terminal to get to the next terminal...go through security again.....run through the new terminal....on to the gate...on to the plane and then they literally shut the door behind me (whew!). Needless to say my bag didn't make it and it threw off our trip to Bulgaria the next day...but that is a different story and one I don't have time to tell.

Bucharest was great but mostly saw it quickly as we drove to Balchik, Bulgaria (5 hours away). The first thing you notice about going from Bucharest to Bulgaria is that you almost step back in time. You go from big modern city to 19th century rural very quickly. Very Beautiful!

But Balchik is a resort town on the coast of the Black Sea with an amazing botanic garden area. Absolutely beautiful.

When we arrived there were some problems with our rooms in that the local politicians decided to have a meeting at our hotel and took my room, the Meadors' room and Andra's (the interpreter) room...so to make it up to us they put us up in a different hotel....amazing.

Since they also had to use the conference room that we had reserved, (somewhere I hear a Jerry Seinfeld monologue on the purpose of a reservation) I also got to experience teaching in the open air close to a street where there was a lot of foot traffic (which would have been fine if I hadn't been given the topic of sexual intimacy.) Two cats literally tried to take my advice during the talk (no joke!) But is was still well received and since English wasn't the main language and most people were receiving translation through closed circuit headphones I think no one was too troubled (whew...)

I had a great time getting to know what ministry is like for our missionaries and pastors on this region. I was welcomed warmly and felt that the times of teaching and counseling went well. God was definitely present. I taught along side Dr. David and Lisa Frisbie from San Diego but soon to be Tulsa (I know I questioned their sanity as well). I also got to spend some time with Jay and Tiana Sunburg who are the missionaries in Bulgaria as well as many of the other pastoral couples.

The highlight of the trip was the Celebration of Marriage ceremony that happened on Friday night. Many of the couples who are now pastors were never able to have a church wedding ceremony due to either lack of funds or because they were married during the communist regime when it was unpopular (to say the least) to be affiliated with a church in any way. This time offered the couples who wanted to participate an opportunity to renew their vows before God and friends in ministry. It was a very beautiful and moving time. I will never forget my time in Romania and Bulgaria and I hope to return soon (but next time with Lori and baby).

The best part was returning home (again luggage decided to stay in Paris) to see and hug my beautiful pregnant wife who surprised me by catching the bus to Dublin and meeting me when my plane arrived. I could think of no better ending to my trip. Glad to be home in Ireland with Lori and the belly. Hope you enjoy the photos...
Oh, and by the way, my luggage finally made it too.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Wow, I'm so jealous of your international travels. I wonder when I'll ever be able to do that kind of thing again.

But of course I'm so happy for you. The pics were amazing!